5.21.2007

Half a dollar

Music is a mirror, and hip-hop is a reflection of the environment that we grew up in. It's the harsh realities that end up in the music. If I ask you to paint a picture of the American flag and not use the color red, you're gonna have a difficult time. To capture what we try to capture in the art form, I'm sure some conservative Americans can't [identify] with it because of their lifestyle and the way they've actually been brought up, and they haven't been exposed to those realities."-50 Cent

He made a great point. Hate him or love him, he's defending Hip Hop more effectively than Cam'ron did on 60 Minutes.

Some say that the 'realities' he portrays in his lyrics are not really 'reality' or in other words, he doesn't live what he rhymes about. Well then again...is Eminem really mercilessly killing people? Will Bow Wow really shoot me if beef pops off in the club?

Are the following rappers really drug dealers?
Jay-z
Juelz Santana
Young Jeezy
Cam'ron
etc.

Entertainment. I'm not saying that every rapper is a liar but most rappers have been known for embellishing a little for entertainment purposes.

I understand the man has made some questionable decisions in the past by dissing Ja-Rule by stating that he writes women songs and yet he has come out with 'women songs' himself. But his hook game is top notch and is a businessman extraordinaire. I guess what I'm trying to say is...I fucks with fiddy. Don't like it, too bad.

22 comments:

Sasha Sapio said...

Lol..

Great Point.
Great Post.

[Finally!]

*^_^*


sasha m!chelle™

Cruz said...

lol.
I know, I know..

Anonymous said...

YES, I dont have a single 50 cent album, but ur write about the quote.

And as for "embellishing for entertainment purposes", thats what keeps us coming back.

Nice post.

Anonymous said...

right^^^

Anonymous said...

50 cent a "businessman extraordinaire"? thats a laugh! but good post besides, that!

Cruz said...

Adreana: your right, I might have been a little charitable with that one lol

But you can't knock the man's hustle...

Anonymous said...

That I cant.
Lol..

Anonymous said...

It was a nice post, but the ending?
Explain..

Cruz said...

50 has critisized Ja about making feminine music and singing in songs. Then he pulls a 180 and does the same exact thing. That's the only thing that bothered me about 50. Other than that, I don't have a problem with him.

Anonymous said...

Thats very true. But regardless of hip-hop being a 'reflection', it still has some very twisted views. Like on women & sex, so what if its for entertainment??

Cruz said...

^ = /

Anonymous said...

♥♥♥♥
I think 'Clarabelle' was talking about the "fiddy" part..lol. 50 in other words..
That was a real good post!
--Kudos
♥♥♥♥

Cruz said...

oh? lol. Yea, "I fucks with fiddy" = He's alright in my book lol

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe mr. cent saying that. But anyways, its half true. Music IS a mirror, in general its a reflection of the artists views. I dont know about hip hop, because Im sure not all rappers grew up surrounded by "bling n bitches"..correct me if im wrong

Anonymous said...

♥♥♥♥
Okay, u stand corrected.
The post clearly states that those are thrown in for entertainment.
U might want to re-read it.
♥♥♥♥

Cruz said...

rawr lol..

Anonymous said...

♥♥♥♥
Sorry, I get it from my sister.
I'll stop speaking in ur place.lol
Keep up the posts!
♥♥♥♥

Cruz said...

Thanks Rene, I think I should hire you as my bouncer or body guard or something...

Anonymous said...

♥♥♥♥
Lol,I cant protect u much physically from PR, but hey, if anyone messes with ur words when ur not around, i gotcha. lol..
ttyl =)
♥♥♥♥

Anonymous said...

Oh okay. No hard feelings. sorry

Cruz said...

it's ok, Brenda = )

Cruz said...

"50 Cent's Investment Pays Off, Coca Cola Buys Glacéau For $4.6 Billion In Cash
http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=7138

Queens, NY rapper 50 Cent may good reason to brag on his new single "Straight to the Bank."

Glacéau, makers of vitaminwater, was acquired by The Coca-Cola Company today (May 25) for $4.1 billion dollars.

50 Cent invested in Glacéau in 2004 and owns 10% of the company.

Sources told AllHipHop.com that Coca-Cola's cash purchase of Glacéau earned the rapper an estimated $400 million dollars.

Glacéau markets and sells popular energy drinks named vitaminwater.

The company markets and distributes a grape flavored energy drink inspired by 50 Cent named "Formula 50."



cant knock his hustle! Rich bastard