8.03.2008

All I need is one mic

It was a glorious day for hip hop on Saturday.

Below are pics from the Rock the Bells concert. I had a shitty cam so bare with me.

The will call ticket line was about a 3 hour wait. But it was all worth it.



Raekwon and Ghostface


Mos Def


Wale - Very underrated. Give him time, he'll be a household name soon.


Dead Prez


Supernatural - I was impressed. A lot of rappers nowadays will write 16 bars and spit it during freestyles. Not exactly FREESTYLING, eh? Supernatural knows the art of freestyling. He asked the audience to throw stuff on stage and everything which was thrown was incorporated into the freestyle. His mind is a computer. And don't let me get started with the beat-boxing machine, DJ JS-1. He is amazing.


Immortal Technique - I didn't want him to leave. He talked and rapped with so much energy and passion. I believe if every bubble gum rapper were to be present during his set...they would retire. He jumped off of the stage and walked through the crowd after his set. He's the man.


De La Soul - They left me with my jaw on the floor after their performance. They proved that they still got it. Dres from Black Sheep came onstage and shut it down with The Choice is Yours. "Who's the Black Sheep, what's the Black Sheep?" - Everyone went bananas. Then he made everyone get low and sing along: "Engine, Engine, Number Nine, On the New York transit line, If my train goes off the track, Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!" He shut it down.


THE PHARCYDE - Reunited and it feels so good. Just awesomeness. They still have it too.


Method Man & Redman - Needless to say, they brought a massive amount of energy with their performance.


Red and Meth brought out N.O.R.E. as a special guest and he shut it down with "Nothin'" Homeboy! I came to party! PS: Nore has gotten huge (fat)


Godson - Another one of the greats of the night.


Q-Tip's set was after Nas but my cam died. Mos Def came on stage and rocked it with Q. Then A Tribe Called Quest came on stage and everyone lost their damn minds! I didn't get a chance to see B.O.B. or Murs perform, stupid long line. It felt so amazing being around people that lives for lyricism and condemns gimmicks and ignorance. Everyone in the crowd would sing along in unison when rappers performed. I think everyone in the venue rapped the entire Nas - Made you look song from beginning to the end. At times I feel like an outcast when it comes to music in my environment but Saturday I felt at home. I got chills during Immortal Technique and Nas performances. Two of the three greatest lyricist in the game today (Lupe's the missing link). BEST.CONCERT.EVER.

13 comments:

James Tubman said...

DAMN!!!

James Tubman said...

YOU LUCKY BASTARD lol

-=UnkleLuc=- said...

SO FUKKING DOPE..Im STILL NOT SURE I WAS REALLY THERE

Cruz said...

I heard Jay-z came on stage last night during Nas' set in New York and performed 'Success' off of American Gangster!

Boooo! Not fair!

-=UnkleLuc=- said...

U lying bastard

Matt said...

Dude.

Wheres all the hot chics?

Cruz said...

Hot chicks don't listen to real hip hop. That's a myth

Matt said...

Damn.

I feel like you just told me santa claus isn't real.

thats fucked up.

James Tubman said...

i hate to sound lame but i had never heard immortal technique until i saw this post

i listened to dance with the devil

that was a little freightening

Anonymous said...

"Hot chicks don't listen to real hip hop. That's a myth"

Cruz-I resent that.

Cruz said...

::Disclaimer::
"Hot chicks don't listen to real hip hop. That's a myth" - was a joke, hardy-har-har?

James - Not lame, i'm glad you checked him out.

Matt said...

OH THANK GOD.

MiSs_JaY said...

IM HATING TILL THIS DAY. I WISH I COULD'CE GONE!