6.12.2007

06.15.1999

"Death always comes too early or too late". In this case, too early.

This Friday will mark the day my best friend died 8 years ago.
Robert ‘Snider’ Williams. Everyone called him Snider when I met him. Sounds gay but he was the coolest person I’ve ever known at the time I met him. He moved across the street from me when I was 10 years old (he was two years older).

He basically taught me everything I needed to know (street wise) throughout the years. I didn’t grow up in Compton but my neighborhood was no joke. He had my back since day one and always looked out for me. He got me out of countless problems, yet, he got me into some as well.

I learned a lot about graffiti from him. His tag name was ‘Glos’. He loved the word, something about things that were brand new and glossy fascinated him.

Well on that day in June back in 1999, he wanted to go to Checkers which was about a mile and a half away from our house. I told him to wait for me because my mom was calling me, yet he started walking without me and yelled, “HURRY UP!”

I heard rapid gun fire, but you hear that all the time in that area so I didn’t think it had anything to do with him. I was helping my mom bring in some clothes from the back yard. I see this big commotion down at the end of the street corner. To sum it up, he was shot 6 times…why? Good question.

I blamed myself for the longest time, if I called him into my house…he wouldn’t have gotten shot. Then I blamed him for a while wondering why did he have to be so damn stubborn? Why couldn't’t he wait for me? But I guess god really needed him up there. It was his time to go.

I made this to commemorate his death. I’ve kept this from a lot of people who are currently in my life. But a good friend told me I shouldn't’t. I should rejoice his life and reminisce the good times and not the bad. R.I.P.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shows a different side of you. I agree with it coming too early in that case and I can relate to blaming myself for something that I seemed to be holding myself responsible for, but Im sure that by now youve realized otherwise, by stating that God was calling him home early. It was a great post, may he Rest in Peace!

Anonymous said...

Your friend was right, kudos to u focusing on the good!
RIP.

Anonymous said...

Thats very sad, but Kudos to rejoicing in his life!

Sasha Sapio said...

Much Love and Respect to an empowering post!

Melissa Marie said...

WOW!!! Great post I love it when you write about things that are heart felt, it shows a different side to you. I am sorry for your loss and its great that you try to focus on the positive.

Anonymous said...

I had a loss that scarred me for a while as well, I blamed myself, but in the end I had to accept the fact that life had to go on for me, & God had my loved one safely cupped in his hands. As time goes by things got easier, i love the post.

Cruz said...

Thanks to everyone who left positive feedback, I appreciate it.

R.I.P. Glos! You'll never be forgotten.

*Crystal* said...

wow, didnt see this post coming. I def. love the post, with all the cliches aside, i know from experiece that its hard talking about these things, && even more difficult in public. May he rest in peace :)

*Crystal* said...

wow, didnt see this post coming. I def. love the post, with all the cliches aside, i know from experiece that its hard talking about these things, && even more difficult in public. May he rest in peace :)

EvE said...

Youre a great writer & I feel like the way u addressed that situation & how his loss made u feel was universal. I believe we all go through rough times with that perspective. At least once in our lives we feel like we are to blame, when in actuality, we arent. The things that u never get back make u feel like that degree of lost is indebted to u.
Im not sure if u understand, because i didnt for a long time when I lost my father, but being alive basically made me feel like i had to take up the burden of his lost.


I really like ur writing anyway, I probably threw u off.

May 'Glos' rest in peace

MiSs_JaY said...

i understand what you mean in blaming yourself for something that was inevidible. we humans tend to do that alot. but im glad you are focusing on the times you had and letting him be free, hes safer now and trust me you'll meet again. hes most probably your guardian angel.. everyone has one!
x0x0x0
-lizard!